I recently encountered a problem while upgrading the iLO2 firmware on a HP DL360G5 server. It seems if you reopen the remote console window while remotely updating the iLO2 firmware you can corrupt the firmware upgrade process. Hmm. This caught me out. When I rebooted my server it sat there not beeping or doing anything for a couple of minutes. I thought I had toasted it. I started attempting ROM recovery process (flipping dip switches on the motherboard btw) but this didn’t help. Removing the RAM caused the server to beep so it was obviously not totally dead. During one of my “boot- nothing-google-retry” cycles I left the server running. After about 10 minutes the server beeped and continued booting up – BUT the POST results showed no iLO2. So I figured it was a iLO firmware problem (which until then I had thought it was a ROM problem) which changed my google terms. I eventually found HP document c01850906.

The document outlines a process for recovering from a corrupt iLO2 firmware update.

The document describes it better but the steps are pretty much the following:

Boot off maintenance CD (have patience, the boot might take 10 or so minutes)

run firmware update
ctl-alt dbx

alt-ctrl-1  enter
cd /mnt/bootdevice/compaq/swpackages
rmmod hpilo
rmmon ilo
sh CP012108.scexe –direct

Message about firmware 1.81 and programming flash


The full process is at:


Document c01850906

Leave a reply

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>